Bank of America Center
700 Louisiana, Suite 2300
Houston, Texas 77002
With his legal training, accounting background, and professional certifications from the IT industry, Land Murphy has the ability to grasp the most complex issues in any field and to boil them down to concepts that a court and a jury will understand and find persuasive. Mr. Murphy's practice involves the successful representation of plaintiff and defendant clients of every size across a broad range of industries. Mr. Murphy has appeared in federal and state courts as well as administrative proceedings, and has experience that includes jury trials and appeals.
Mr. Murphy is licensed in California and Texas and is admitted to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, Southern District of Texas, Eastern District of Texas, and Central District of California. Mr. Murphy received the highest score on the February 2007 Texas bar exam and is a Certified Public Accountant (inactive) in Arkansas.
Mr. Murphy received his B.A., summa cum laude, from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock in 1997. He received his J.D., summa cum laude, from Pepperdine University School of Law in 2005, graduating as valedictorian of his class. While in law school, Mr. Murphy was elected to the editorial board of the Pepperdine Law Review and was a member of the First Place team for the 2003 National Criminal Procedure moot court competition and a member of the National Champion team for the 2004 Wagner Labor Law moot court competition. He was also recognized as a National Member of the Order of Barristers. Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Murphy served as law clerk to the Honorable Diarmuid F. O'Scannlain, United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth Circuit.
• Successfully appealed judgment against Robert Stroud, Stroud Production LLC, and Plantation Petroleum Corporation in the Court of Appeals for the First District of Texas, which rejected claims of oil well sabotage and the argument that a lessor owes a special duty to overriding royalty owners that is not contained in the oil and gas lease or assignment of overriding royalty interest. The Court of Appeals reversed the judgment the Galveston County District Court entered after a jury trial and rendered judgment in favor of the Stroud entities as to more than 99% of the damages sought by plaintiffs.
• Representing global energy clients in suit brought in the District Court for the Southern District of Texas alleging false advertising, defamation, and tortious interference.
• Obtained an arbitration award in Houston, Texas for the entire amount of damages sought by a national accounting and litigation services firm in its insurance policy coverage dispute with Certain Lloyd's Underwriters.
• Obtained a jury verdict and judgment of public nuisance in Harris County District Court for the City of Houston against a rent-by-the-hour motel in a residential neighborhood because its owners knowingly permitted prostitutes to make habitual use of the motel for their illicit activities.
• Obtained jury verdict and judgment in Johnson County District Court for shareholder in dispute with fellow shareholder in trucking company over note personally guaranteed by shareholders; obtained dismissal of suit brought against client by jointly-owned company because the company's suit was not properly authorized.
• Filed and settled suit for energy client against negligent contractor for repairs and expenses incurred after well-site accident resulted in uncontrolled release.
• Represented energy client in resolving pre-suit dispute concerning extra work claims arising out of pipeline construction project.
• Defended former chief executive officer of public company against allegations of securities fraud in an administrative proceeding brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission; negotiated settlement in which the SEC abandoned scienter-based claims.
• Obtained summary judgment in Harris County Court-at-Law for non-profit client accused of breaching a contract procured by fraud.
• Obtained dismissal of civil rights claim against non-profit client in the District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
• Obtained a favorable settlement for pipeline construction company in its suit in Harris County District Court for compensation owed in connection with the construction of an oil and gas pipeline under the Tigris River in war-torn Iraq.
• Obtained a favorable settlement in Utah state court suit for a pipeline construction company based on its claims for extra compensation following construction of a pipeline in mountainous terrain in Colorado.
• Defended a Fortune 10 energy company in a suit alleging patent infringement.
• Defended a limited partner in an oil and gas limited partnership against claims of fraud, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty.
• Represented a technology company in filing an objection to the Google Book Settlement.
- Mr. Murphy has been selected as a "Texas Rising Star", a Thomson Reuters service for 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
*Please do not transmit confidential information via Internet mail. Your transmission of information to Smyser Kaplan & Veselka, L.L.P. is not intended to and does not create an attorney-client relationship with the Firm or any of its attorneys. Please do not assume that your communications sent using Internet mail are privileged or confidential.
Garland D. Murphy IV
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
B.A., History, 1997
summa cum laude
Pepperdine Law School
summa cum laude
Law Clerk to the
Honorable Diarmuid F. O'Scannlain
United States Court of Appeals
for the Ninth Circuit